Fallout Script Extender
Please Note: The official wiki is no longer being maintained by the community[edit source]
The modding community for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas has created its own wiki due to onerous and painful captcha requirements for every edit.
The active wiki contributors have moved to the new wiki -- for the most current information, visit:
Description[edit | edit source]
The Fallout Script Extender, also known as FOSE, is maintained by Ian Patterson (ianpatt), Stephen Abel (behippo), and Paul Connelly (scruggsywuggsy the ferret).
Current stable version: v1.1 beta 9
Current beta version: v1.2 beta 2
Main site: http://fose.silverlock.org
Documentation: FOSE Command Documentation
Official forum thread: Fallout Script Extender (FOSE) v1, Thread 12
How it Works (or why NOT to be afraid of FOSE)[edit | edit source]
FOSE does not edit your Fallout3.exe in any way, and as such is not dangerous to use at all. It works by running the .exe and then patching it while it is in memory in order to add in new scripting functions.
How to use FOSE with the GECK[edit | edit source]
Scripts written with FOSE's new functions must be created via the GECK after it's been loaded through fose_loader.exe. To use FOSE with the GECK:
- Extract fose_loader.exe and the necessary dll files to your Fallout 3 directory.
- Open a command prompt window and navigate to that directory.
- Type this into the command prompt:
A more convenient method is to automate this command through a shortcut:
- Create a shortcut to fose_loader.exe.
- Right-click on the shortcut and open the properties window.
- Add "-editor" to the Target field.
Note: the normal editor can open plugins with extended scripts, but will give errors if it tries to recompile them.
Compatibility[edit | edit source]
Compatible Versions[edit | edit source]
- FOSE v1 (Stable) supports the DVD and Steam version patched to 220.127.116.11.
- FOSE v1.1 Beta 9 supports these versions of Fallout 3 (both DVD and Steam releases):
- 18.104.22.168 (original release)
- 22.214.171.124 (alternate release, found on steam and some European patches)
- FOSE v1.2 Beta 2 adds support for the German no-gore version of 126.96.36.199.
Incompatible Versions[edit | edit source]
- Build 188.8.131.52: FOSE is not compatible with the original, unpatched DVD or Steam version.
- Copy Protected Versions: the following versions of Fallout 3 use copy protection schemes to encrypt the Fallout3.exe, thus making it illegal to decrypt:
- Direct2Drive (D2D) version
- Polish DVD version w/ SafeDisc protection
- Russian DVD version w/ StarForce protection
- Games for Windows Live (GFWL): when running Fallout 3 via fose_loader.exe, GFWL will be disabled automatically. GFWL functions as an anti-cheat mechanism, so it disables itself if it detects any in-memory modifications to the executable, despite the fact that Fallout has no multiplayer component. Since GFWL cannot tell the difference between the modifications we make and the modifications a cheating program would make, we will probably never be directly compatible. To download DLC and updates, simply launch Fallout normally.
- A note on DLC: by loading Fallout3.exe instead of fose_loader.exe, you can still download DLC and updates through Live. If you have DLC, you will need to move the DLC files into the Data directory located in the Fallout 3 installation folder.
- A note on saved games: since Live stores save files in a separate folder when active, users will need to move their save games from their user profile folder in the My Documents folder to the main Saves folder in order to access them.